Saturday, September 13, 2008

Register to Vote!

(9/13/08)

Anyone else ready for this election to be over? Man, I can't even watch the news anymore. I guess the debates will be interesting. Anyway, if you're reading this and you're not registered to vote, go here now! Go ahead, I'll wait. . .

. . .
(doo doo dum dee dum)
. . .

Done? Cool. Well, I'm finished with my neupogen shots for the week (see previous post), and we'll see if I can go in for treatment after my appointment on Monday. I did wake up with some sores on my tongue today, but hopefully that doesn't mean anything other than my room is too dry. It's weird to be getting them now, though. Sometimes I think my body has some sort of weird Pavlovian response such that it starts to expect treatment before I'm even getting it. My energy level is better than it was earlier in the week, though, so that's a good sign, I think.

One other bump that we cleared this week. . . my bladder is A-OK. My doc said that a couple weeks ago when I had my cystoscopy, the urine sample they sent out looked "suspicious". The pathologists said I should be checked for signs of bladder cancer. The pathologists saw abnormal looking cells, but they also didn't know I had gotten radiation in that area and was undergoing chemo. My surgeon said the "suspicious" cells were likely due to radiation and chemo damage to my bladder and were nothing to worry about, but my oncologist wanted to do another sample just to check. So I did that on Monday and the results came back negative yesterday. They even went back and checked the old sample to make sure, and there was no sign of malignancy. I wasn't that worried about it, but my mom was, so anything that makes mom happy is definitely a good thing.

Some days I think back to when I had surgery, and though there are lingering long-term consequences, it's such a relief that I still have a fully functioning bladder and urinary tract. We have to hold on to things that we can be thankful for, and try to let go of pain and depressing thoughts as quickly as possible. But I guess both are easier said than done.

No comments: